Ali Bracken is reporting in today's Sunday Independent.
The chief suspect released from Garda custody last Friday night over a "vicious and sustained” sexual assault of a woman in a Kildare forest is out on bail for multiple other criminal offences in Leinster and Munster.
The Sunday Independent understands the man, in his 20s and known to the woman, is considered a "volatile and dangerous criminal”.
He had been on a "crime spree of sorts and was spiralling out of control” before he allegedly committed the serious sexual assault against the young woman last Sunday.
A source said the attack at Moore Abbey, near Monasterevin, was "at the highest end of the scale” in terms of sex crimes and the alleged victim was also physically assaulted.
The woman, a young mother in her 20s, has left her home amid fears she could be tracked down by the suspect.
A file will now be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP). The suspect was questioned on Friday by detectives before being released without charge.
It is not unusual in crimes of this nature, which rely heavily on forensic evidence, for suspects to be released while evidence is still being collected.

Kfm Obituary Notices
Major Curragh Community College Project Moves Ahead After Years Of False Starts
Plans For Walking Trail Within Castletown House Lands Under Consideration Subject To Removal Of Laurel
Council Blames Stolen Cars As It Refuses Warning Signs At Crash-Prone Bridge In Celbridge
Naas No-Shows Add To Driving Test Pressure As Kildare Test Queue Hits 1,975
Naas Hospital Promised Just 21 Extra Mental Health Beds At Lakeview Ward - With No Timeline In Sight
R405 Hazelhatch Road To Close Between Loughtown Road And Athgoe Road For Major Pipeline Works
Local Demonstrations To Accompany Leinster House SNA Protest Amid Growing Backlash, Says Kildare TD