Parents advised to be extra vigilant in the run up to Christmas.
Batteries, painkillers and diffusers swallowed by babies are causing accidental poisoning.
Speaking on Kildare Today, Patricia Casey, Manager of the National Poison Centre at Beaumont, said some items swallowed by babies may not show immediate symptoms.
She said parents should check toys and compartments to make sure batteries can't be removed easily.
In the run up to Christmas, parents have also been advised to keep sweet tins used for storage out of sight.
Speaking on this mornings Kildare Today, Manager of the National Poison Centre at Beaumont Patricia Casey spoke on the accidental poisonings: