5,000 people have been evacuated.
100 homes have been destroyed and 5,000 people evacuated after the Canary Islands' first volcanic eruption in half a century.
Molten rock from the eruption in La Palma is expected to reach the sea later today, which is likely to trigger more explosions and the release of toxic gases.
The volcano began erupting on Sunday.
Cliona O'Flynn, an Irish journalist based in the Canaries, says eruptions could go on for weeks
The Canary Islands are safe to visit and a volcano eruption there is a ‘wonderful show,’ Spanish Tourism Minister Reyes Maroto said just hours after 5,000 people, including hundreds of tourists, had to be evacuated https://t.co/KsGMN1yYzy pic.twitter.com/zt6GWFqjM8
— Reuters (@Reuters) September 20, 2021

Sallins Man Onboard Gaza Flotilla Speaks Out As At Least Seven Irish Citizens Detained By Israel
"A Lot Of People Got Beaten Badly": Sallins Man Gives Update After Last Month's Intercepted Gaza Flotilla
Starmer Under Pressure Following Rumours Of Health Secretary Resignation Later Today
Eurovision Song Contest Begins Tonight As Ireland And Other Countries Boycott
WHO Expects More Hantavirus Cases Among The Cruise Ship Passengers
Two Irish Passengers On Virus-Stricken Cruise Ship Now In Care Of HSE
Musical Stars Announced for 2026 World Cup Opening
Irish Citizens On Virus-Stricken Ship "Safe And Well", As Protests Break Out In Tenerife